Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Just the beginning

Although the official challenge may be over I feel that this is just the beginning of the changes I want to make in my life. SoI have decided to continue my blogging adventures and I hope that my sharing will continue to inspire others in their own journey.
As most of you may know my boyfriend, Dennis and I just returned from a week long vaction, driving up the coast of California, from Newport Beach to Sacramento. The scenery and the weather were beautiful the entire way. We missed all the fog and overcast conditions that typically shadow the coast from Morro bay to San Francisco and were able to drive topless the entire trip. Our first stop out of Newport on our way to Morro Bay was that of REI in Santa Barbara... Dennis recently purchased some Vibram Five fingers. Yes toe shoes, yes ugly. But supposedly great for running as well as light hiking and even training in the gym. I heard they were great for obtaining muscle definition in the calves so that was my selling point. So he bought me a pair, now we can look "silly" together the sales associate remarked ( he is obviously not yet a convert).

I must say they are rather comfy. Typically when we run around I am in flip flops and end up with sore tootsies and or an achy lower back so I decided to test them out on our excursion through Monterey Aquarium and a walk thru the Wharf. Surprisingly they did the trick all day. Even with out a cushy sole I felt comfortable and no aches after our day out. They say you are supposed to ease in to wearing them on a regular basis so I retired them during our time in San Francisco and took to sandles and wedges for a cuter approach to vacay wear.
 I am happy to say all my pre vacay clothes still fit although I did gain a few pounds from all the yummy goodies we splurged on over the course of the week. I mean who can pass up fresh fish and a bowl of clam chowder that has been voted best in town 12 years running at the Old Fishermans Grotto in Monterey, and dont forget sourdough bread from Boudin in San Franciso and no vaction would be complete with out cocktails.... and we indulged in some of the best, from dirty martinis to fresh peach sangria. Needless to say our trip up the coast proved to be a fun vacation however I was a bit eager to get back at it in the gym when I returned home.
So today I am happy to say I woke up a bit sore due to a chest and back workout at Hardcore fitness followed but a little jaunt on the treadmill at Cardiogirl. Yep I went for a double day right out the gate and it felt amazing. And my toe shoes proved to be durable in both environments. Cant wait to test them out with some higher impact cardio today with a double session of CardioTREAD!


No comments:

Post a Comment